Monday, August 4, 2008

The Comparison Trap

I just returend home from a huge Mary Kay yearly conference called "Seminar". It's really one of the most amazing things I've ever attended. We fill up the Dallas Convention Center (actually, we fill it up 5 times over 5 weeks) and the week is filled with celebration, motivation, education and inspiration. I always come back super pumped and ready to go! I've also noticed that in years past I come back playing the comparison game. I'm not sure if this is part of my personality, or something that I just stuggle with b/c of my gender or just my sin nature in general. I look at how somemone else has done something better than me and I lament and wish I was "as good" in that area. I suppose I do it in other places as well . . . not just the Mary Kay arena. I have a friend who is amamzing at scrapbooking and I think I should do a better job at that. Another friend is a great cook and always fixes something unique and creative for her family. My friend Leslie is a work out queen! She has abs of steel while I'm sporting a post-partum muffin top! Needless to say, I fall into the comparison trap. Two things I've realized about this dangerous game: 1 - I typically compare my weaknesses with others strenghts and 2 - gifts are to be celebrated, not envied. I guess in addition to convicting me about my pride, the Lord is also teaching me that the greatest gift I can share with others is love. I may not be a super cook, workout queen or scrapbooking diva, but I sure can love people. It starts at home with my husband and boys . . . it stretches into my work and my church body and out into my community. So, when I look at it that way I'm pretty humbled at the huge gift I've been given!
"So now faith, hope and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."
1 Cor. 13:13

3 comments:

Mrs. Jackie Sue said...

First of all, love the new look and title, no more sweet tea?! heehee Loved your summer family photo shoot photos! Carl's shared them on facebook.

Anyway... response to your post... RIGHT ON! It's so easy to do but we need to quickly recognize it and pray and submit to God not comparison. Loved this post! Thanks for being real and such a great wife and momma!

Blessings,
Jackie

Kendra Haneline said...

scream it sistah! i totally am right there too. it's easy to do, but obviously not God's plan for us to compare ourselves to others. you are absolutely right on about your love for people & you have a true passion for the ministry that you and Carl have. miss ya! K~
BTW... loving seeing 2 posts within a month.. ha!

The Via Colony said...

What a great post Heather!! Also, a really good reminder that God as gifted all of us in different areas, something that I too quickly forget sometimes...